In January, 1850, Peter met with Baltzer to discuss plans to live closer to his brother. Their plans were to build a house only a few feet south of the existing main house owned by Baltzer. This smaller, second house was to be finished before August 1850 for both Peter and Anna, and they would be given free passage through Baltzer’s property to reach their house. The house was to be built of stone, exactly like the Sarah Pearson house Anna had seen. Cost to build the house was $500.
Peter and Anna were to be able to move in by April 1, 1850; if the house wasn’t completed by that date, Baltzer was to provide two convenient rooms in his own house until the new house was finished.
Other rights and privileges given by Baltzer to his brother and sister-in-law in this agreement:
“the privilege to use the pump springhouse;
to use the existing bake oven, and to build a new one near the new house (it ended up being built in the new house, known as a “beehive” oven); to use as much of the garden as needed; one cow and one horse, and room in the barn with rights to feed and clean their stables; pasture for one cow, and the use of many hogs;
one-eighth of an acre for a potato patch next to the farm; manure for the potato patch and the garden.”
Peter Stever died in 1854, leaving Anna to live in the house until her death. Anna was the first to live in the house as a widow, (others would follow) giving the Widow’s House its name.